Wednesday, April 8, 2015

[Book Haul] Seven Years in Tibet - Heinrich Harrer

Harrer was more famous for his epic book, the White Spider, which is an account of the first successful ascent of the Eiger North Face (a copy of which I lucked upon Booksale, yay!). But arguably, it's Harrer's friendship with the Dalai Lama that has more impact. 

Seven Years in Tibet recounts Harrer's time in the forbidden kingdom at the height of World War II until the start of the Chinese occupation. It was during this time that he got to know his holiness, the young Dalai Lama. His story became even more popular after Brad Pitt starred in the movie based on the book. I haven't watched it yet.
A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on
I've been looking for a copy of this book for some time now. It was one of the more elusive titles in my checklist. A couple of months ago I saw the sequel to this, Return to Tibet, but did not buy it, as I have no idea yet of how the original book will affect me. Now that I scored a copy, I hope to see the sequel again; and this time, I won't pass on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment