Thursday, August 11, 2016

Yeah, these happened (June-July), Part 1

"The days are just packed", says Calvin. The months flew by, and now it's August!

Here are just some of the events that occupied my weekends since the last post:

Mt. Lubog Hike

I sort of volunteered at work to teach basic outdoor skills to the members of our club. The culminating activity was a trip to Mt. Lubog to apply the lectures first-hand. I haven't been to the mountain, and was quite surprised by the adventure we had with the habal-habal.

You can actually visit the mountain in a day. I have friends who climbed it as a side trip while training for their ultramarathon. Despite the sad state of the forest all around (especially concerning because it's part of the Ipo and upper Marikina watersheds), the beauty of the summit and it's limestone outcrop is undeniable. From the peak, the Sierra Madre range stretches out from south to north, while the smoggy Metro Manila skyline sprawls in the southwest. 



I would like to see a future where this area is reclaimed by trees. But as more and more people encroach the highlands of Montalban, the more likely scene would be horses pulling freshly-cut lumber down to waiting trucks, while the authorities are caught unawares (or turning a blind eye). Such a shame, though. 


Welcome, new(ish) Bike!

After much deliberating, I gave in to the temptation of upgrading to a full-suspension bike, courtesy of ninong Nokman. My main worry is that I won't match what the bike can do. As a casual trail biker, there are still a lot of tricks I need to learn. 
A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on


Anyway, my first foray with this bike was very sticky and muddy. At one point, the tires stopped rolling because all the mud that got stuck on the tires. I'm still getting used to the handing of a 29er, which turns a bit wider than my old bike. I also logged my first three spills in less than an hour; one more laughable than the previous. All part of the learning process, I guess.
Powtek! (photo: Princess Que)
happy riders (photo: Princess Que)
I just need to find a way to make this bike last. Contrary to what others say, having a bike is not necessarily cheaper than driving--relatively speaking. 


UPM's Amoy-Lupa Offroad Duathlon

I've been toying with the idea for a few months to have a quick and fun race with the members one Sunday afternoon. Since we've done the duathlon around the oval a couple of times already, it was time to bring it off-road.

The CHK bike trails is the perfect venue. It's close to our tambayan. It's short and fast. And easy enough for beginner trail bikers. There were 15 racers in this innaugural event. I would've been the 16th, but I crashed during the course check. I stuck to just officiating after that.
meet the players (photo: Oko Francisco)
As a special treat, it suddenly rained. The trail, which was already semi dry and in ideal conditions turned to mush. The racers to it in stride, and welcomed the added challenge. Some more ready than others. 

I joined in the fun for one lap, and instantly regretted the decision. I just made a mess of my outfit with very little to show for it, except validate that I've much to learn before mastering my bike.


Kyle came in first, followed by Adrian. Casper--proving experience is a great advantage--finished third. Hanzel, the lone female competitor after being persuaded (more like, forced) to joining, seemed happy with the experience (whether she joins again or not remains to be seen).
Kyle (photo: Oko Francisco)
Run section (photo: Oko Francisco)
Casper's veteran moves ((photo: Oko Francisco)
The brave Hanzel (photo: Oko Francisco)
All in all, it was a fun afternoon. We had the trails to ourselves, thanks to the brief showers. The racers are already asking for the next round.
congrats to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment