Monday, September 7, 2015

MakLakFul Part 2

Romi suggested that we go on a training hike with the members of the Nepal team. The objective, at least for the Ama Dablam group, was to carry a heavy pack to simulate the conditions we would encounter in the Himalayas. He wanted to go to Mt. Daguldol, but I suggested thru-hiking Mt. Makiling instead. Little did I know I would regret that suggestion.

We agreed to bring between 20 to 25 kilograms in our pack. On a normal overnight hike I would be carrying a little over 15 kilos of gear, food and water, so this promised to be a strenuous activity. 

I had some experience in carrying a heavy pack up Mt. Makiling. Last year, Kerwin organized the "MakLakFul", or Makiling Lakad with Full Packs. I vowed to correct the mistakes I made last time, like bringing trekking poles and carrying climbing hardware instead of water. 
The things that come out of Punks's mind. MakLakFul 2014
This time I wised up and stocked up on water, which I can ditch at the summit, to make the descent kinder to my knees. I still brought a rope and a more spartan set of climbing gear in case of emergency. Total weight the last time I checked the scale was around 23 kilos.
Ein was eager to weigh in (https://instagram.com/eintheadventuredog)
Aside from the Nepal trek team we were joined by the crew of Born To Be Wild, which Romi hosted some time ago (occasionally returning for special segments), as well as Eka, Jimbo and David (co-UP Mountaineers). The travel was made easier as we hitched a ride with the GMA crew (thanks again!). Eka was the most experience in this mountain, so she was our unofficial guide.
the "before" shot
Two of the most difficult things about Makiling is a) the steep and technical ascent towards Peak 3; and b) the menace called limatik (forest leech), the tiny critters out for blood. We headed for the mountain a bit later than planned, the sun was already up and morning was warm. By the first rest stop my shirt was soaked. I had no problem reducing my pack's weight because I'm practically emptying it by drinking all the water. We haven't even done the hard climbing, and I'm already exhausted.
photo-bombing Garduch (from www.twitter.com/romigarduce)
Mid-way in the ascent I was in a bit of trouble. I felt a severe hunger pang that threatened to debilitate me. It was only 10:30 a.m., but I felt a great need to eat my lunch, otherwise my body will shut down. The pack's weight was really getting to me.
Miko managing the "roped" section
After eating I felt a bit better. Still hungry, but functional. Eka and the other "fast-packers" were nearly half an hour ahead of us, but they stopped at Station 15 (last flat section before the hard climb) to wait for us. A bit of rest and some more food I was feeling more recovered.

The climb up to Haring Bato never gets easy. Its steepness is a challenge in sunny conditions. Climb it during rainy season, the challenge would double because of the slick and muddy rocks. The camera crew did very well despite getting the assignment only a few days before the trip, hence, lacked the needed physical preparation.
David on the steep roped section
This was becoming a true simulation for our climb. The fixed ropes, near-vertical sections, and slippery terrain substitutes well for the alpine conditions we are about to face. I was beyond taking photos, my mind was set on just getting past the rocky section and catching my breath at the campsite. I can't imagine how the UPM-SAR team was able to manage last year during their recovery operation from Peak 3. Just setting up a rope system at the rockies would have been really exhausting and time consuming (making their effort all the more heroic).

We still had Peak 2 ahead of us, and the weather was turning for the worse. A few false summits was dampening my morale, but my bigger worry was to make sure the camera crew was okay. The limatiks were out in full force. You can't walk ten feet without one jumping on your face trying to get some precious blood. It's also impossible to stay put in one place without attracting the little vampires. So the best thing to do was keep moving.

It took forever to reach Peak 2. From here, it was all downhill. This means it was time to ditch the extra weight, seven kilos of water that wouldn't be useful on the descent. The clouds were closing in and the cold wind was signalling the inevitable rain shower. It was 3 in the afternoon, and we needed to get down as fast as possible.
my Osprey pack was comfortable under the heavy load.
Hiking down the muddy trail made even more slippery by the ice cold rain was hard enough--I fell no fewer than five times--but the limatiks were really getting in our nerves, and our eyes. I saw Miko was just standing ahead of me; I though he was just waiting for us. I turned out that a limatik crawled into his left eyeball, and he was trying to get it out by himself. He took a video of that ordeal for everyone's viewing pleasure.


The creepy crawlers didn't let up until we reached Agila Base (Station 10), where four habal-habals (motorcycles that carry more than the suggested passengers) were waiting for us. There was no hesitation on our part to ride these heaven-sent motorbikes. It was close to evening when the last members of our team arrived, and the six of us rode a modified motorcycle with a huge carrier at the back. It was surprisingly stable and comfortable in the face of a bumpy gravel road.

As I washed the mud off my body I found out that I didn't escape unscathed. I counted about eight limatik bites on my legs. Thankfully, these were not bleeders.

It took us a good 10 hours to complete the 15-kilometer trek. Longer than last years. It was a quiet ride back to Quezon City, with everyone, except for the driver, peacefully dreaming their exhaustion away. 

Marie and Tita said it might be a while before they come back this mountain. For me, if the chance presents itself in the near future, I wouldn't mind coming back, limatiks and all. I might, however, ditch the heavy pack the next time I'm there. No more MakLakFul in the meantime. 

(Update: Check out Romi's account of the climb. More photos there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment