Monday, August 31, 2015

Pilipinas Mountain Running Series - Leg 2

After getting lost slightly going to the starting line in Licao-Licao, we arrived rather sleep-deprived for the second leg of the Pilipinas Mountain Running Series of Thumbie Remigio, whom we also know as the head mountain rockstar of UPM. It's been three weeks since I was last here at Mt. Balagbag, for my training with a weighted pack.
nervously excited mountain rockstars
The last real race I joined was the last White Rock Triathlon in 2013, which was cancelled because of rough weather. I stopped joining races after that because of the massive shin-splints that plagued me for months before and after, and just concentrated on climbing mountains. I didn't have a lot of expectations on this race, except to not be injured.


The 32K runners started 20 minutes ahead of us. I didn't envy them because their course was way punishing. As the 16K starting gun fired, everybody flew at blazing speed towards the start of the hill climb. I was a bit shocked but tried to keep up. I was surprised to see the younger UP Mountaineers in the forefront, very excited on their first race. I matched pace with Levi and soon gained place.

Doing the recon weeks before helped me ration my energy. I knew the first 4 kilometers is mostly uphill, so I did my best to fast hike the steeper portions and jogged the flatter ones. The weather was excellent, but the rains from days past made the trail a bit muddy. The view from the campsite was breathtaking. If I wasn't running a race, I would've stopped to take in the scenery!
my legs looked wobbly as I make the final ascent
I was keeping an eye on Mike and Edwin who were a hundred meters ahead of me, but soon lost them as we passed the helipad towards a scary downhill section on semi-loose and sticky dirt. It was so scary that I asked Levi to go ahead as I might be blocking his progress. The pace was fast and frantic. Scary but fun at the same time. Every step needed my full attention. I anchored myself to Levi's pace until he said he was feeling something in his knee. 

Again, familiarity with the course helped in the second half. I knew it was mostly downhill until the turnaround, so I kept a steady pace which was not to hard on my lungs. I was counting the people ahead who were already heading back, and I was shocked that I was running eighth! It was surreal, and that recharged me a bit and helped with the final climb back towards the flying finish.

I was at my limit near the downhill section. Edwin, who was now behind me (after fixing his shoelaces) was kind enough to pace with me despite me telling him to go on ahead. Pen soon caught up with us and we all started the descent. In hindsight, I am really thankful that nothing happened to me while running down. I was caught up with the rush I forgot that an injury now would ruin my Nepal trip. All I had in mind then was not to let the last person I passed regain his position. 
Edwin and Pen overtaking me at the final section
trying to stay positive
it was a beautiful morning to run

By the last two kilometers I was in trouble. My calves were on the verge of cramping. Pen would tell me later that I look like shit, and was about to offer me a salt tablet. But I knew I was close to the finish so I dug a little deeper and convinced my legs to cooperate.

I finished the race four seconds short of 2 hours and 3 minutes. It was beyond my expectations and I was obviously super delighted. Overall I was ninth; eight in the men's category. A notch higher because--as we would learn later--the person in front got lost big time. The other UP Mountaineers also finished strong in both categories.

Sometimes lowering expectations can bring great results, and focusing on a goal will help you shake off any doubts that will ruin your performance. I set a few goals for that race--some I made before the start, and some midway--and ticked most of them by the time I crossed the finish line. I had hoped that this race will help me prepare for Nepal physically; which it did; but it also trained me mentally. 
post-race high

No comments:

Post a Comment