Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Day of UPM-SAR Wilderness Training

(Having a puppy sure does take a lot of my time. I meant to post this a week ago, but after work, training and taking out doggie poop, sleep time is what's left - D)

Two Saturdays ago, I finally stepped into a forest setting, after months of mostly urban activities. This is the third session for the UPM-SAR Team 3, and we were in Alfonso, Cavite for their training on mountain search and rescue. Where better to learn about patient extraction and transport than in an actual wilderness, right?
how to rig a safe Tyrolean traverse line

Natnat and Jonas led the training, while the rest of us non-trainees helped out in around the site, guiding the trainees or housekeeping at the campsite. Everyone had an early day, so it was important that the training is kept lively and interesting. 

We started with a refresher on the most important knots to be used during rescues and checked on their rappeling techniques using various descenders

Then we proceeded with anchoring basics and how to use mechanical advantage (i.e. applying simple tools like levers, pulleys, etc. to amplify force) to make life easier during rescue operations. I'm a bit of a gear junkie, so I had a fun tine to see mountaineering equipment in action.

After teaching each module, trainers instruct the team to figure out how to set up these systems on their own. Time limits are given to better simulate the sense of urgency in every operation. We then critique their work and offer suggestions on how they can work more efficiently the next time. 
hecklers, united
Training will go on through the night and most of the following day. I could only stay until later afternoon of day one, so I missed the exciting extraction simulation done down the river. 

Night rescues are the trickiest since the hazards around increase because of the low visibility. Keeping presence of mind in this situation is a must, or you risk injuring yourself and the patient. I'm sure all of them, trainees and trainers alike, were dead tired after the simulation.

Driving back to Manila was no picnic that night. It took me five hours to get back home in an otherwise 3-hour drive. Traffic was so bad in SLEX that I decided to stop in Alabang to eat, rest a bit, and let wait the traffic out. Part of me wished that I stayed in Alfonso, especially after learning they were oven roasting pork belly. Ugh!

* * *

Before I left, I had my own training in preparation for the Big Climb in October. During the summit assault of Island Peak, I had a difficult time managing the roped ascent because a) the climbing boots were killing me, and b) I had no upper body strength. So this time, I'm making sure I'll be able to at least carry my own weight at 6,000 meters. Using the line that Jonas set up, I practiced the single rope technique using a mechanical ascender and a Petzl Grigri. 
easier way to climb a tree?
This technique is usually used by cavers or arborists to ascend. There is a slight difference from the big wall system, but the principles are the same. Using your arms and leg (or legs, if you have two available slings), you pull up the rope using the mechanical ascender. You then 'stand' on the sling and at the same time, feeding the slack into the Grigri. It takes a few tries to get your body coordinated, but once you figure it out, the going gets easier. 
the totally unnecessary 'selfie'
Of course this won't be how we'll climb Lobuche and Ama Dablam. Since it's not easy to simulate the conditions found on those mountains, I have no choice but to train "piece meal", then combine everything during the actual climb. I just hope all this work carries me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment