Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Rockstar-ing in Balagbag

I was planning a "solo" dayhike in Tarak Ridge last Saturday, but instead I found myself lugging a heavy pack up to the helipad of Mt. Balagbag, while the mountain rockstars ran/hiked ahead of me.
with the uncles
Back up a couple of days earlier. I felt compelled to go out and hike to gauge my fitness, since there's only two months before the Big Trip. Romi's been telling us we should trek by carrying 20-25 kilograms in our pack to simulate the conditions in the Himalayas. Since the dude is always busy, we had train on our own. I chose to hike up the Tarak Ridge since it has a steep profile after Papaya River, which will really bust my lungs and cramp my legs.

Then Thumbie invited us to join a recon of an upcoming mountain trail race in Mt. Balagbag. While I wanted to have a solo adventure (solo because no one wanted to join me), joining a group might also be fun. Anyway, I can go some other time.
driving in the dark in the middle of nowhere
We drove to Licao-licao past four in the morning. I hardly had any sleep; a typical night for me before a trip. Thumbie and the rest of the uncles were a gossipy mode, which I was more than happy to listen to. A few wrong turns, and we were at the jump-off.

I knew from the start that I had a disadvantage. Out of the eight guys who were there, I was the only one with a 40-pound pack and in trekking pants. There rest had very minimalist gear and hydration packs, with just enough supplies for the 16km run. The trail starts with a moderate incline, and I tried to keep up with their brisk walk as they warmed up for the main event.

I have sentimental memories on this mountain. Eight years ago was the first time I went up this place, during the Enduro San Mig Adventure Race. We got lost during the night trek, but ended up running in contention for the podium (until we got lost again). Another was the first time Cece and I hiked as a couple, but people did not know yet that we were an item. So while this place is not really a spectacular destination, it's still very special to me.



The trail is actually an access road that passes through the settlements built for veterans of the Philippine military. For the most part of the way up, you will see houses lining the road. It would eventually clear two-thirds of the way up and you would get to see Metro Manila and the towns in Region 3 surrounding the place. Mt. Arayat and the mountains of Sierra Madre, as well as the Ipo Watershed can be viewed from there on a clear day.

However, it's not the happiest of places to view nature, if you're into that. From the jumpoff, you can already see that vegetation at the ridge is mostly tall grass, with the occasional tree here and there. Mt. Balagbag is part of the area in Sierra Madre notorious for its charcoal-making industry. Hikers frequently see men, women, and kids carrying sacks of fresh charcoal down to the settlements below to be sold in nearby towns. If you're wondering how your favorite lechon manok  or isaw was cooked,  chances are it was from the charcoal made from the trees of the Sierra Madre.
It didn't take too long to get to the "helipad", or the traditional campsilte of Balagbag. I was surprised to find myself keeping up with the guys despite the heavy load. To do this, I had little luxury for rest stops like the rest of them. While they stop to take in the foggy view that morning. I kept on walking. Even if we all stopped to re-group, I started off earlier to gain some ground before they catch up with me again.



The place was really eerie. I felt I was transported to Baguio or some other place in Cordillera. The blanket of mist was welcomed by all. The alternative was scorching rays of the morning sun.

We carried on. I planned on backtracking since they had some kilometers to go (mostly downhill, which I wasn't planning on doing). But Thumbie said there was another way down. I was surprised a road now linked the helipad to the other side of the mountain. It appears to be a recent addition, and its purpose is a mystery to us. (my suspicious mind suggests it was for logging activities). 

The road was steep. I lent one of my poles to Henry, who forgot his trail shoes, and was running in his Vibram Five Fingers (offered little traction and padding from the sharp pebbles). I headed back to the sari-sari store at the junction to wait as they continued on to the 16km turnaround. 
There was nothing else to do at that point. I was still feeling strong and a little bored. I played with the notion of catching up with them without my pack. After a few minutes of debate, I ran/walked towards the most logical place they would go (I only had a vague idea of their route). Glad that a mountain dog decided to join me in my run. The mist gave out to the sun, and I immediately regretted not staying put to wait for them. The route was mostly downhill, which means a lot of climbing on the way back. I had no water and was having hunger pangs. I was delighted to see them in the distance. I felt no urge to continue to where they were. I was content to stop and slowly head back to the store. By then the dog was nowhere in sight. I think he was smarter than me and went back much earlier.

The way back to the trail-head was all downhill. There was no need for me to continue carrying a heavy load, so I happily dumped all my spare water (all six kilos) in the containers at the rest stop. I immediately felt my load lightened, so much so that I considered running down the mountain, which was sort of a good idea since the sky was threatening to rain, and eventually did.
Everyone was in a good mood on the way back. Henry even offered to host our lunch. Lack of sleep finally caught up with me as I got home. I would've slept until evening if not for our naughty puppy. 
It was a Saturday well-spent. I managed to accomplish my training goals and got home sans injury. My shoes, which I just had repaired the day before, survived. And I got the lowdown on some juicy gossip floating around. 
Last night, I decided to join Thumbie's event on the 31st. 

No comments:

Post a Comment