Friday, January 22, 2016

2015 Going To 2016

Happy new year, guys! More than a month has passed since I last wrote here. What can I say? A cluttered mind is not good for blogging.

To save us all the trouble of backtracking, here's a summary of all the things that happened since the last post.



Dawa's Trip to Manila
As promised, Dawa and his wife, Pema, made their way to the country during the holiday season, so they were in for some major traffic experience. It was a short but productive visit. We got Dawa to present in ROX BHS and Lagalag SM North EDSA about Nepal and the different kinds of adventure waiting there. We're pretty excited to offer a trip to the Himalayas in October (more on this soon).
Dawa and me at the Lagalag Store (photo: Dawa Lama)
I think they had a good time here. At least the weather wasn't that hot. Mostly, I'm glad they were here for another highlight.

I Got Married!!!
To cap of a very memorable year, Celine and I finally got hitched one weekend, somewhere in Cavite, with friends and family, and loads of mountaineers. This happened a month after we returned from Nepal. I had to make up for my absence and focus all my free time to helping out with the preparations. While we wanted the atmosphere of the wedding top be laid-back, there's still a lot of things that go into making sure everything runs smoothly. Everyone had a blast, fortunately. It was a weekend not to forget. There was even a special "mass wedding" towards the end of the night.
all made up. hehe
The day won't be complete without our trademark shot (photo: Jay Mayuga)
Post-Christmas Hike, and Ein's First Real Adventure
After all the wedding stuff, we needed a breather. My friend Jun wanted to hike somewhere before they headed back to Guam. So we brought them to our favorite watering hole at an undisclosed location (hehe). 

Ein tagged along, too. She has to "prove" herself to be an adventure dog. And she did not disappoint! It was a warm day, and despite the hot trail, she didn't complain once. I had to carry her at some sections because her stumpy legs aren't made for high steps (although she was up to the challenge). She had some good times in the water; Celine and I got excited after seeing her swim for the first time. But when we stayed in the deeper sections. I think she got nervous and retreated from the water. We're already planning another trip for our little doge.

The MFPI Skills Olympics
After the new year festivities, I was asked by UPM's current executive board to round up a pool of people to compete in the MFPI Skills Olympics in Tarlac on the 16th of January (since I was the one who brought it up in the first place). There was undeniable pressure once we decided to join. A pressure to do well in order to uphold the "reputation" of the club as one of the best in the country. On the other hand, I also wanted to expose the new members to this types of competition without weighing them down with the demands of excelling in their first-ever event. 
Team UP Mountaineers (photo: Bricx Dumas)
The team performed better than I hoped for. The perfect mix of old and new  members, a positive attitude, and beer got us bagging gold in six of the eight events, and silver in the other two, plus the 1st and 2nd prize in the photo contest. Needless to say, we got the overall championship! It was a solidly fun weekend. Even Ein had a great time.

* * *
Unfortunately, I have to bookend this entry with some sad news. Last Monday, we got word that Gax Ilanan of Power Up died suddenly and without warning. They said he likely suffered from a brain aneurysm while working out on his bike trainer.

Gax--the Legend, as he is fondly called by the regulars in TS--was one of the most accommodating people I've met ever since I started taking up rock climbing. A true mentor. Never one to deny anyone who asks for his guidance. Always encouraging us to keep on working to improve our skills. I regret not seeing him again since we left for Nepal. From all the good things I've read on the Internet from the people he touched, he will be sorely missed.

I have the strong urge to head out to the nearest crag and climb, in memory of a good friend.
* * *

And with that, I've brought you up to date with the goings on from my end of the world. Despite the sad bit of news this early in the year, I wish everyone a good 2016. May all the adventures you had planned be safe and memorable.


PS - I still owe you an ending to my Nepal story. The hype has all but expired, but I haven't forgotten to write it, for posterity. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment