Monday, March 7, 2016

A Day With the Philippine Orienteers

(This very late post is brought to us by procrastination.org, world's leader in not getting things done.)

I saw an invitation at work for an orienteering event hosted by the Philippine Orienteers. I got curious because this was the first I've heard of the group. Checking what was online, I realized this was the same people who sort of got in touch with us a few months ago asking about the orienteering scene in the Philippines. Nothing much happened there, so I thought things fizzled out.

Turns out, the club was well and alive. The event that I joined two Sundays ago was already their third since November. Their dedication to the sport is admirable, indeed.

So what happened during the event?

It was a fun drive going to Angono, with Ein and Celine, and my first time to see what was behind the hills of Antipolo from this side. When we got to Eastridge Subdivision, I was surprised at how vast and empty the property was. The few houses that stood there now lay empty and up for sale. I'd be scared walking here in the middle of the night. (Shudder)

A handful of participants came to the event, the expat group that comprise the Philippine Orienteers were still busy setting up the course, so we just let Ein have fun while we wait to register. Nice to see kids joining the event with their parents. 
a very nice map
The race is not much different from the last event held by MIT-MC. You are provided a map and the location and order of the checkpoints which you need to get to and photograph. The main difference is that compass usage is less important because the race was in a developed area full of landmarks and roads and the map is remarkably detailed, showing all the important features to aid navigation. The format is follows the International Orienteering Federation (IOF) rules, particularly in preparing the course, maps, and the race proper. There is more focus in running than navigating through a compass, but knowing how to get your bearing is an advantage. There are usually three courses: the sprint, medium and long distance course.

The map was given a few minutes before the race, and we got to study it a bit before heading off locate the 16 checkpoints spread across the property. I started out in a sprint, but changed my strategy quickly since Eastridge is not exactly a flat area. The first few CPs were located on the side of concrete pavement. We were then taken to the less developed, i.e. grassy area, where the road became a trail. So far, so good.
Just like in the Cel-P, we had to take photos of the CPs for verification.
It was getting warmer as it approached mid-day. I was enjoying the detail of the map. Talking to the organizers after the race, they said it took them a few visits to get the details correctly and add it to they open-source program which generated the map. I like the level of sophistication now available to the public. It's more interesting now to organize mini-events since the tools are accessible.

I said earlier that Eastridge is virtually empty of residences. Despite this fact, the course was not as easy as I thought. A lot of planning and double-checking is required so you can take the most efficient route possible. There were a few times that I had to re-read the map and the features just to get my bearings straight again. I came across a cut road that I thought was a dead end. I didn't notice that the map showed the eroded section, and that the road continued once you pass the detour. Small details like that can cost you time if you don't pay attention.

The last few checkpoints wound back to the starting area. I had no problem locating these, except that the sun is getting unbearably hot. I checked in at the finish line with a time of 1 hour and 22 minutes. 

For my effort, I got four bottles of Crazy Carabao craft beer, which Celine and I enjoyed when we got home. The PO guys had a short talk with me exploring if it's possible to have a similar event in UP. I said I couldn't officially confirm, but I don't see why not. Personally, I'm interested in setting up a similar course for UPM to try out. I just need to learn the software.

Heading back home
Driving back, we took in the other racers who rode an Uber just to get to the venue. I had in mind to skip Ortigas Ave. extension which is notoriously packed, so I took a chance and headed for a detour. Not entirely unexpected, my navigation skills didn't pan out as planned. We had to pass through a heavily-populated area in the outskirts of Pasig. Even Waze told me to drive back. But I am stubborn and I pressed on. Eventually, we "escaped" the area and merged into civilization. Crisis averted.

Future of Orienteering
I was telling the Philippine Orienteers that orienteering is alive in the Philippines, ever since adventure racing took root 18 years ago. The only difference is that we don't entirely follow the IOF format. MIT-MC's event is the closest we've gotten, but the problem was that the map they used wasn't updated and detailed. I assured the guys there is a future for the sport here. We just need to have more events.

(My thanks to the Philippine Orienteers team, Murray, Timo, Bong, Ben and Yumi. If you're interested in joining their future events, check out their Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/philippinesorienteers/)

No comments:

Post a Comment