Thursday, April 10, 2014

Guiting-guiting Exploration - Day Zero Dash

Frantic preparations have been underway since a week before, after we had our final pre-climb with the whole team. Then just to be sure, Bunny, Levi and I ran through the plan again last Monday over a few bottles of beer at the Lagalag office in Kamias. We needed to fine-tune our final traverse, should it happen. By that time, we're supposed to be on our own, with only limited support should. 

Fast-and-light
We had to figure out how to do the thing fast and light. Garduch reminded me again last night to avoid the common mistake in fast-packing: bringing a smaller pack, but carrying the same 20-25 kilogram load on our back.

I borrowed the Osprey Stratos 40 of Richard so that I'll maintain discipline in minimal packing. with about 20 liters less room, I gave up some luxuries--like my old reliable thermarest ultralight--to save space. I didn't even pack any spare clothes other than what I'll use during the traverse (but I did ask Twylah to carry a drybag of clothes for me up Mayo's Peak). My pack will be filled mostly with ropes, climbing hardware, and water (about 8 liters each). All in all, my pack's weight will be in the realm of 15-20 kilograms. Not good.

Waiting for the bus
JAM Transit station was in chaos. It has been that way the entire week. What was usually a 30-minute interval between rides have become 1 to 2-hour waits. Passengers bound for Batangas had to get a number to make sure they get a seat on the next bus. I was nearly the last person to be called to the bus; and almost lost my seat while I was loading my duffel bag at the compartment.

The Bolo
Bunny and Levi had to wait for me outside because they had my boat ticket. We had an our to spare before the boat leaves. At the x-ray counter, we tried our best to pile up our packs to divert the gaze of the operator from the bolo inside Bunny's pack. Didn't work.

The security agents told Bunny and Levi that we need to get a Barangay permit for them to let us bring the bolo inside the terminal and the boat. The barangay hall is a good 1-2 kilometers from the terminal, and Bunny had to run all the way there. We made it to the boat with a few minutes to spare. This was a way better than Ram-mon and team's experience a couple of days ago, when they arrived at the boat as the loading ramp was being lifted; almost missing the only ride for the day.

And we're off. We cross the Verde Island Passage as the setting sun the western sky becomes fiery orange. Dinner was roasted chicken. My packed Chickenjoy survives to live another day.






No comments:

Post a Comment