Saturday, April 19, 2014

Guiting-guiting Exploration Day 9 - On Our Way Home

The drinking session went all the way into the morning. I dozed off around 3 a.m.; I can still hear the voices of Ram-mon, Punks, Neil and some others discussing something or another. I gave up on getting a decent sleep at around 5 a.m. Most of the people were already up and packing. The jeep will pick us up around 7, taking us to Cajidiocan.

While watching Punks pack, I couldn't believe how much gear he brought in this expedition. For one, he had a big-ass tent you can stand inside in (good for 8 persons). His total haul was 4 big packs, which he loaded into a small stroller. Talk about commitment! At least they had a very comfortable stay in Mayos' Peak, bar non-stop rain.
Pack for 1 (photo by Kerwin Nicolas)
Palace at Mayo's Peak (photo by Twylah Rubin)

 The ice box still had almost a dozen bottles of Red Horse. Nothing like beer for breakfast. I was still hung-over and dehydrated from last night's celebration. What was left after was transferred into whatever container we can bring with us to the boat (we saved almost 4 liters of beer).

We said our goodbyes to the Tansiongco family, our very gracious hosts, to whom we will forever be grateful. They welcomed us and opened their homes for us to stay in, fed us, and assisted our trip without wanting anything in return. No wonder the Philippine mountaineering community (at least the "oldies") love this family so much.

"Soft Rock" was blasting in the jeep at levels hazardous to human hearing. We were singing along to the Scorpions' "Always Somewhere", all the same. We're heading home! Despite the threat of rain, Punks, Twylah, and a few others decided to ride "top load", while the rest of us stayed inside the jeep, eager to catch some zzz's. Halfway into the trip, it did rain, and it rained hard. We got down at Kap. Bibo's house, and the guys were soaked to the bone.

We wondered aloud where summer went, all of a sudden.

We met with the Kap. Bibo, Kap. Cleto, Sir Jun, and a few other people who were supporting this expedition. The boat was to leave in less than 2 hours, but they managed to give us a farewell brunch, while we debriefed them on our experience. In front of us were grilled squid and fish, plus kalderetang kambing. The guys couldn't contain themselves!

Kap. Bibo and Cleto sent us off at the pier. We paid our respects to the mayor of Cajidiocan, who was also there. The stewards are calling us to board; I think we're the last people to get on.

Navios (the boat) was packed! Everyone's heading back to Manila for Easter. It's back to work again on Monday. We got settled in, and the boat slowly pulled away from cloud-covered Sibuyan. I believe we were all thinking the same thing: we'll be back soon enough to finish the job!
onboard Navios

The sun showed its full glory as we got closer to Romblon. I didn't let this opportunity pass. I took out all my wet clothes and gear, headed to the back of our deck, and started hanging my stuff across the railings. The radiator of the air-conditioning unit became a blow-drier for my poor shoes. I felt the other passengers were giving me puzzled looks while I walked back and forth, hanging new things as the others got dry. I was giddy at the prospect of not getting wet carrying all these stinking clothes.

Levi told us we got invited by Dom, a fellow UP Mountaineer, to go on a short beach trip once we stop over in Romblon. We considered this very briefly, and said "okay!" We landed at the port; the police carrier was already there waiting for us!
captured bad boys and girls
We barely had an hour to get to the beach and head back before the boat leaves for Batangas. Our destination was Tiamban Beach. This excited Bunny, Adrian and Kenneth, who went there by accident a month ago when they got stranded in Romblon. That beach, they said, was beautiful.

And it was. The sand was white and powdery. In low tide, you can cross a sandbar to get to an island nearby. Someone said that this was the 16th best beach in the country. I wouldn't refute that claim.

Dom welcomed us and introduced his clan. Turns out we gatecrashed their family reunion. His cousins and uncles/aunts were a welcoming bunch, immediately gave us plates and showed the way to the buffet table. Grilled meat and fish! And beer!
Thanks, Dom and family! (photo by Dominic Solis)
I couldn't resist the lure of the sea. What better way to "cure" all my wounds than taking a quick dip? I did one short lap and headed back to the beach to take a shower and change. It was time for us to go.

In the panic of washing up as the others were calling me to hurry up, I left my shirt behind. Good thing I had my Lagalag shirt with me. My last clean piece of clothing. We got back to the boat and was disappointed. All the rush to get back, they were still loading tons of cargo. We could have spent half an hour more swimming or eating!

The sun was setting as we sailed further away from Romblon province. Bunny and Levi got to buy a few bottles of Red Horse and a litter of brandy. Alcohol check, dinner, unknown. We didn't bring any food on board. Good thing some rations were left, and the crew were not as diligent in checking if passengers were using flammable substances onboard. We cooked pasta, instant noodles, soup. Anything that remained resembling food. What was left of Bunny's Malagos chocolate bar was divided into nano-sized pieces, to be shared all around. Even in desperate straits, we were having a great time.
Choco goodness
The sea was calm. There wasn't a breath of wind. I was hungover again in no time, and I was drifting on and off sleep while they passed the shot glass around. In the morning we'll all part ways and get back into our normal routine. I have tons of things to clean and dry out before Monday.

This is the life we crave for. We've all had one hell of an adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment