Saturday, April 19, 2014

Guiting-guiting Expedition Day 8 - The Long Walk (Part 2)

(conclusion of Part 1)

Good Friday, 2:30 PM - I started walking down, ahead of the others. Now the real fun began. As I reached the lower elevation, I started to miss those shrubs and underbrush lashing my skin. At least with those I got relatively secure footing. The trail opened up at the forest line, and from here on in I was walking in wet, muddy, and slippery ground.

Even with my trusty trekking pole, I was no match to the virtual friction-less terrain. I was lord of the trail slide. The back of my pants is now laminated with a film of mud. I couldn't afford to be distracted by some errant thought while walking lest I miss my footing and slide again. Isong overtook me in due course, and it was hopeless to catch up to him no matter what I tried.

Further down, the dry riverbed we walked through is now sort of alive, and slimy. The rainwater from days before mixed with the moss covering the rocks created a Teflon coating scared the hell out of me, that I slowed to almost a crawl. I was surprised at the length of the riverbed that was part of the trail. A week ago it didn't feel we walked here very long.

Without a watch, it seemed I was walking for days on end. We went pass the long descent where the last water source can be found; now a bubbling brook. After which came the hard climb before we got back to the contour of the ridge. The forest added a dark and eerie feeling to the trek.


We got to the hut where we left the sick porters last week. I got excited that we're getting close to Kabit-tubi. Then came the junction with the maze of trails, then another junction, and then another. Kabit-tubi was nowhere in sight. Again, it didn't feel it took us to go through this section the last time. It was getting frustrating.

As we cross a river (which I didn't remember was there), I gave Binoy the lead. The trail wound in and out the river, sometimes vanishing into a faint path. I have a vague recollection passing through all these before. It seemed we were using a different trail. It was getting dark fast.

We come into a clearing. Kabit-tubi at last! We saw Ram-mon resting at the far end of the clearing, talking to the kids. At the hut, Jowen welcomed us back. I was thirsty and mooched a few packets of Pocari Sweat powder from Bunny. My feet were killing me. I took off my shoes to let my feet breathe. I can feel the blisters growing.

Jowen offered us honey he was selling. I was not a fan of honey, but I took one bottle anyway. I placed it on the bench and it immediately burst and all that gooey bee poop was gone. Isong said that there was a lot of pressure inside the bottle, and Jowen shouldn't have closed it too tightly. Oh well.

6:30 pm - It was officially dark. We started our trek for Danao, which was about 2.5-3 hours by their estimate. Isong and Binoy led the way; their mastery of the terrain was very obvious. They easily broke away from us; stopping only to check up on us (if we're still alive), then they move on ahead again.

It's hard negotiating down a steep and muddy trail during the daytime; much harder still in the cover of darkness. We began tallying a lot of falls and slides, despite all attempts to secure good footing. My headlamp was in full burst mode, to make sure I see all the obstacles ahead. 

My feet were in very bad shape: blisters at the back from the poor choice in socks; my toes suffering from the pressure inside shoes now too small to fit my swollen feet. I'm afraid my trail runners will not survive this ordeal. I can hear Cece saying "I told you so!" when I get back home. 

Once we passed a stream, the trail leveled off after what seemed like an endless descent. I've had more arduous marathon trekking sessions before, but at this moment, this feels like the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I don't have any idea how long we've been walking; and that was just the first part of the trek. 

We wended down a rolling path, fireflies guiding our way (or luring us to get lost?). I felt something itchy near my bellybutton. It was a small and slimy creature that we all love so much; a cue that we just entered LIMATIK country! I shined my headlamp down my shoes and I can see hordes of these little buggers crawling towards my feet. In panic I asked Levi to reach for my pack and get the small bottle of alcohol spray so we can get rid of these bloodsuckers. But the best thing we can do right now was to get out of there quick! Guiting-guiting wasn't through with us yet!

Isong and Binoy stopped at a small clearing to get the limatiks off their skin. We followed suit, but it was impossible to get all of them off. Some were drawn to the open cuts on my leg (less work to get blood, perhaps?). We moved a little quicker, eager to out of this ambush area. We came across the forest clearing and small settlements; I feel we're getting closer to home.

At the last water source we again stopped to pick the pesky parasites off our shoes. Binoy's legs are bloodied; anti-coagulants injected by the leeches preventing natural clotting. I'm still luckily clear so far. We are now moving through the old logging road. Still slippery and dangerous. I'm counting the kilometers left before we reach the base. 30 minutes to an hour more? I caught up with Levi and followed very close. He'd remark later on that when he saw me behind him, he felt we were in an adventure race.

Our trek is definitely close to ending now. The path is now wide enough for a car to drive in. Carabao grass (that looks well-manicured) surrounds single-track trail. There a more houses now along the path, and overzealous dogs barking at us, wondering who were these people walking this late at night. I heard the rumble of a tricycle nearby. Is that our ride? One last descent and we were at the bank to the Agbalit River. It is done!

9:00 p.m. - I happily walked in the water, trying to drown any limatik still dining on my leg. The tricycle was indeed there waiting for us. I dropped my pack, took my shoes off (whew!) and walked back to the river to wash up. I got rid of the last limatik on me, now very full and fat. Bunny and Ram-mon soon arrived and we all exchanged high fives for an epic trek down the mountain.

I looked up to the sky while waiting for Bunny to settle up with Isong and Binoy (our heroes). Hundreds of fireflies lit one particular tree as if it was Christmas. I forgot  for a moment about how tired and stinky I was, and the blood running freely down my feet into my sandals (the curse of the dead fat limatik). That sight was my reward for the day's work.

The trike was full. I sat on the back, absorbing all the bumps we rode through. We're about 30 minutes away from Tampayan. I can almost taste the beer waiting for us. Then it started to drizzle. Another parting gift for daring to defy the mountain.

10:00 p.m. - We arrive in Tampayan, at the home of Kap. Nono and Toto Tansiongco. A veritable feast welcomed us. Fish in various forms, much to the delight of Levi. The whole gang was there. Adrian, Neil, and the Satur father-son pair just arrived as well, looking tired but accomplished. JM and Kenneth got to the summit while Neil and Adrian decided to turn back as the day was getting late.

Without much thought I gave a thousand bucks to be splurged on beer (something I might regret later on). I couldn't seem to stop eating, even when the sky opened up and rained over our party. More food kept coming.
limatik feeding frenzy: the aftermath
11:59 p.m. - It seems this day won't end anytime soon. We're not even halfway done with the bottles of Red Horse. There's tons of stories to be shared. I just had my first bath in more than a week, and I was feeling great; excluding the fact that my entire body was aching, my feet looked like they belonged to a zombie, and I have been awake for almost 24 hours now. Considering all that we've been through, it's just right to be bordering on ecstatic right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment