Friday, October 23, 2015

[#AmaDablamTour, Day 10] Lobuche

It's just a matter of time when your body gives in to the days of hiking, climbing, cold weather, lack of sleep and improper nutrition.  When we started our hike to Lobuche this morning, my thighs cramped up abruptly but slightly. After an hour, I could feel my leg muscles aching. I regret pushing myself within my limit yesterday on the climb and descent to Nankerzong. The order for the next few days is to take a step back and slow down, rest, and stretch more.


From Pheriche we hiked on the side of the valley, with Taboche, Cholatse, Pokalde, and Ama Dablam on guard. Lobuche looms closer and closer, granting us a view of our route in a few days time. I must say, it looks like a hard climb day for us.

The windchill while the sun was in full power was screwing up my body temperature. I didn't know if I was cold or warm. This goes on all the way to Thukla, where we had our lunch break.
Pheriche Valley

Lobuche East in the Distance
Thukla
Up Thukla Pass and the memorial chortens
The temperature continued to drop after lunch as we climbed the pass where the memorial for the climbers who died in the Khumbu area can be found. The valley beyond looked gloomy as the clouds seemed to be bringing snow. Soon enough little flurries of snow appeared. The first time I experienced snow I was delighted.  Now I just feel dread over the prospect of sleeping below freezing temperatures. 

The teahouse dining area in Lobuche was warm and cozy, especially when  it really started to snow. The place was packed with other tour groups. We kind of miss the places we had to ourselves, where we could freely be noisy if we wanted. But at this elevation, nobody was truly in a chipper mood. AMS  has been manifesting itself at different degrees within the group.
Lobuche
This was really an unlucky day. I realized my water bottle was gone; dropped somewhere accidentaly or left at Thukla. I should be more careful with my gear from now on. 

Tomorrow, the ladies and Miko will head out early to Gorak Shep, to give them enough time to visit EBC. While Romi, Henry and I decided to leave a bit later to conserve our energy for the latter climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment