Tuesday, May 20, 2014

New Pack!

Just in time for our Gunung Kinabalu trek this weekend.

I got a message a few weeks ago from Jane (ROX/Osprey), asking if I'm interested in trying out their packs. Of course I said yes! 

The last time I "upgraded" to a new pack was six years ago, when I had to replace the battered Bomika I "borrowed" from my brother nearly a decade before that. I'm not a real fan of buying new things for the sake of it. Usually I'm "forced" to buy when my old one is busted beyond repair. If the padding from that pack has not crumbled from the years of over packing, I might still be using it to this day (I actually still do, as a secondary pack when we're out guiding).  

I picked up the pack in ROX last Sunday. A shiny blue Osprey Kestrel 58 (58 stands for the volume of the pack in liters). Took it out of the plastic wrap and enjoyed the "new bag scent" for a while, and started checking out the features. 

Right out of the wrapper, the pack looked really small when compressed; same as the Stratos I brought in Guiting-guiting. That's something I couldn't do with my older packs. 

The suspension is also a bit different from what I'm used to. The frame feels less bulky, and the torso length adjustment looks very simple to manipulate. I have yet to try how effecive the AirScape™ backpanel padding is, but I'm excited on the results.

check out this video

Another feature I'm curious about is the Stow-on-the-Go™ trekking pole attachment, which allows you to quickly clip your poles to the base of your pack and the shoulder strap for easy access when you need it again. 

Other features that could change the way I pack, are the vertical side zipped pockets and the stretch front pocket. That enhanced accessibility might reduce the need to put down and open the pack just to get something.

I'm tempted to over-stuff my pack with gear for our Mt. Kinabalu climb, and put the pack to the test. But maybe I'll save it for another mountain (next week: Irid).

* * *

My thanks again to Jane Dumaug, ROX and Osprey. Osprey packs are available in all ROX stores nationwide. For more detailed specs of the Kestrel 58, check out this link.



No comments:

Post a Comment