Sunday, May 4, 2014

Throwback: The 2010 TNF 100

My Facebook newsfeed is littered with photos of friends with their medals after finishing various distance categories at The North Face 100 in Benguet this weekend. I toyed with the idea of joining this year even if I didn't have any decent run in the past couple of months. Better judgment got the upper hand, so I stayed at home.

To join in with the weekend's hype. Here's a throwback account of the 2010 race, where I joined the 50km category. It was the third year TNF 100 ran in the country and the first held in Baguio. Cece was graduating that weekend, so I decided to run 50km instead of the full race so I can head back to QC the next day and catch the ceremonies. That's my "press release" whenever anyone asks why I didn't run 100km. In truth, I knew I would just hurt myself with the full distance because of the proverbial "lack of training".

A lot of UP Mountaineers came up to Baguio and joined the race. Jojo (Mr. Padyak) kindly offered their place for us to stay in, and warned us casually of the ghosts in the old house. We were off to the starting line by 2 a.m., Saturday. We didn't anticipate the total lack of taxi in the area at that time. Our race started earlier than we expected.

There was a crazy nervous energy at the starting line as we waited for the gun start. A lot of heckling, sandbagging, and well-wishing going on. You know that at the back of every racer's mind, they all want to finish. For some, to finish at the top.
Mandatory gear check before race start
Once we heard the pistol fire, we inched our way across the start line. My plan was to walk most of the way, but I got caught on the excitement of the moment, and found myself running with the rest. The mass of racers quickly dispersed after the first few bends along the side streets of Baguio en route to Camp John Hay. I was surprised to see a lot of people still awake at 3 in the morning, cheering us on while drinking beer.
And the crowd goes wild!
We ran across the winding single-track trails of John Hay then headed to the Loakan airfield, where it got very dark. My camera was out the whole time and I wasted no time taking photos. I found Danny looking very relaxed while supervising this sector of the course. 
Danny waiting for us at the John Hay trail
We went up then through a trail used by locals which then wound down all the way to Kennon Road. Dawn was breaking, but it was still dark. We had to be doubly careful at the last downhill section: a steep concrete path littered with sand and gravel. One slip and you will skid all the way down, taking with you every racer that blocks your way. 
We enter a small community then made our way across a short section along Kennon Road. Bananas and water were distributed at the aid station here, so I helped myself, though careful not to overeat. We took a left turn, going back to the trails on the other side of the highway.
At this point, racers are lumped together with people running/walking at the same pace as you. You pass one at a section then they pass you at another, and the whole cycle continues until one pushes a little harder or gives up entirely. Once in a while I bump into Cavz, Cezar and his friend Joyce (I learned her name after the race), and a few other people whom I'm not really acquainted. They became my "markers", to let me know if I'm keeping a steady pace or I'm lagging behind. 

We're at the start of the long climb to Mt. Cabuyao. By this time, I do not have any illusions that I'll be running this thing all the way. My chosen pace afforded me the chance to enjoy the scenery and take photos once in a while. 
picture-taking pace
The scenery was breathtaking indeed. Even as I gasp for air during this uphill nightmare, I can't help appreciate where I was. The cool mountain air and the pine forest surrounding me provided some comfort as I wonder how many kilometers to go before we reach the summit. I caught up with some UPM friends who were running the 100km. I think they had to pace themselves more than me since they're running twice the distance. Jose (another UPM and a certified ultrarunner) caught up with me and gave a few words of encouragement as I navigated the unrelenting climb.
Not your run-of-the-mill climb when running
Looks near but still very far
I finally made it to the top! Mt. Cabuyao is the location of the logistics point, where we can access our re-supply bags to get food and change of clothes. I packed my hiking shoes in my logistics bag; I was afraid that my old and beaten Mizuno trail runners would give out (it still held up, so no point changing yet). My breakfast was some bread and a bottle of tuyo in oil. I figured I needed to load up on salt at some point, might as well make the process delicious.
Multisport racer Retzel enjoying the brief rest
A sign on the road said 35 km. I was taken aback by this. It was only 8 in the morning and we covered that distance in just 5 hours, and now we're 15 kilometers to the finish? Great! I texted Wyeena and the gang I will be back at the finish line in no time!
35 kilometers already? yay!
We followed the meandering tracks around the contour of Mt. Cabuyao; through farms and small patches of forest. It was a pleasant surprise to see pitcher plants here. I thought they only existed in places not yet encroached by human settlements. 
around Mt. Cabuyao
50km runners then gets separated from the 100km runners at a junction close to the logistics point. Cavz became my constant companion at this point; see-sawing the lead, as it were, as we headed down back to Kennon Road. The steep climb we went through earlier now became a terrifying descent. The dry pine needles were like tiny rollers under our shoes reducing our braking power as we tried to navigate this section safely.
nightmare to the knees
My knees were buckling, and I can feel my toes taking a lot of pressure from my weight shift. I grabbed the sturdiest stick I can find to be my trekking pole. A rookie mistake not bringing at least one during the race. It was around 10 am when I "escaped" this section and crossed Kennon to climb back up on the other side. The heat was getting to me. I stopped at one of the stores and ordered a fizzy softdrink and downed my pandesal at tuyo. Another rookie mistake: buying spicy tuyo. It's like a fuse to a hyper-acidity dynamite.
next time, buy the regular tuyo
We went through the same way we descended earlier that morning. I felt something was off in the course as I huffed and puffed to reach the the apex. Shouldn't we be closer to the finish line now since we passed the 35 km mark more than 3 hours ago? Am I still on course? 

This wasn't making any sense so I tried calling some of the organizers I knew. They said  I was in the right direction and I should just follow the trail. I learned much later that the marker at Mt. Cabuyao meant that we had 35 kilometers to go, not 15. Mother %@$^!

Cavz finally broke away from me. There was no sight of him when I got to the top of the hellish climb. I made my way past Loakan Airport (amused by the sight of a landing Huey helicopter), and entered Camp John Hay. I saw Candy and LA hanging out with other familiar faces, Al, Makoy, Danny and Casper, who immediately offered me their Mountain Dew and lunch. Real food! I gobbled what I could and stayed to chat for a few minutes. I asked if Cavz already passed them. They said no. Strange. I went on my way, thankful for the support. 
Go UPM!


The trail within Camp John Hay almost drove me crazy. There was no indication of the distance I still had to cover. The scenery is pretty much the same all the way through, giving a sense of endlessness. I was tired. Muscles and joints were aching. I didn't know why my pack felt so heavy. What the hell's going on?
pagod selfie
Finally, concrete pavement! I got out of John Hay and walked/ran/hobbled back through the streets of Baguio. The end is nigh, but not yet! It was really tempting to take a cab ride my way to the finish line. But that would negate all my efforts. The back of my knee was hyper-extended from all that brisk walking using a longer stride.  

I'm counting the kilometers remaining as I pass some of the markers. It seemed wrong, but it gave me hope that I'm close to getting this thing over with. There were casual runners who cheered me on as I passed them, saying I'm nearly there.
hardcore senior runners
And there it was, the finish line! I wanted to hide and run on the sidewalk instead of the near empty Lake Drive. But why waste a good photo opportunity? I ran as fast as I could and crossed the line with a genuine smile; relieved that I'm finally done.
Flying finish (photo by Wyeena Sumilang)
I crossed the line at 11 hours,34 minutes and change. In due course, Cavz, Ed and Lei finished, all with the same grin I had. All happy to be done. I asked Cavz what happened to him, I thought he'd finish earlier than me. He said he got invited to have lunch by Boy Calunsod somewhere before Loakan Airport. Mystery solved.
(Photo by Wyeena Sumilang)
I had a lot of explaining to do to Wyeena, Mel, Faye and Keng; all patiently waiting for me since morning. I told them the mistake in the distance markers that made me excited and thought I'd finish before lunch. They were fine with the snafu. Good thing there were a lot of places to eat around Burnham Park to keep them occupied.
ever-loyal supporters
The post-race endorphin rush kept me awake until late in the evening. We woke up really early the next morning. It was Wyeena and Mel's turn to run in the 22K and 11K trail run. I cheered them on at the starting line before heading back to Jojo's place to pick up my gear and head home just in time for Cece's big day.
the best cheerleader
I predicted that I'll be hurt if I join the 100km race. Doing the half-century proved me right. I've been limping since the end of the race, more so when I got back to QC. I had a swollen ankle and pulled tendon or muscle at the back of my knee. The cherries on top were a couple of dead toenails from wearing a sock-shoe combination that got too tight after the second half of the race.

The following year I returned to the race, but as a race marshal. I had less sleep that weekend than when I ran the race. From 2012 up to this year, I didn't even get close to the starting line for various reasons. I heard that next year's race won't be in Baguio anymore. I won't get the chance to test myself in the grueling course of the full distance, and that's fine by me (sort of...).

No comments:

Post a Comment