Thursday, July 10, 2014

In my pack

I remember the time when my old Bomika pack (actually my brother's) seemed to be on the verge of breaking down from the weight of the stuff I put inside it. At once instance, a little over a decade ago in Daguldol--a time when money was scarce, nalgene bottles were the craze, and gears were huge--I was severely over-packed and lugging two tents, several nalgene bottles, cookset and stove(s?), a whole frozen chicken, and a big-ass emergency lamp running on D batteries. Mid-trail I suffered cramps, and needless to say, my ego was bruised, right in front of the girl I was "making porma".

Times have changed. And since joining UPM, I've become a "smarter" packer. Camping equipment have also changed drastically; shaving off volume and weight tremendously. So comparing how much weight I was carrying, I might look like a ninny now compared to my "younger" years.
The typical gear pile before being stuffed into the pack
So what do I normally have in my pack nowadays? I tend to bring all the gear I need; but of course, if I'm part of a group, a few items get left at home, depending on the agreed gear plan. The list below--in no particular order--is what I typically bring, starting with:

1. The backpack - Not everyone can afford to have a backpack for all occasions; and I'm no different. I mentioned a while ago I had my Bomika pack for nearly a decade before buying a new one, a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10. I might have used this pack for another decade, had not ROX and Osprey offered me a Kestrel 58. 
My Osprey Kestrel 58 in Mt. Kinabalu
Going back to my point. Since not everyone can afford to buy different packs for specific trips/purposes, you have to make sure your pack will be versatile enough to take on most of the trips you'll be venturing in. Size matters; and the volume of the pack will determine how much gear, food and clothes you can bring. If you have a small pack and can't afford to upgrade for the moment, maybe try the ultra-light approach in packing.

2. Tent - This is another big investment, so you should be smart in choosing the right one for you. Normally one would choose a 2 to 3-person tent that is good for three seasons (good enough, at least for our country, which only has two seasons), that is relatively light and easy to pitch. My first tent was a huge 4 to 5-person second-hand tent that took up half the space in my pack. I bought a smaller one, and eventually upgraded two more times (on 4-5 year intervals). The tent that I've had in the last 5 years is an REI Quarterdome UL (the ultralight version). It's light (nearly two-thirds less than my first tent), compact when packed, and fairly easy to pitch. Although it's been showing signs of wear, I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon (or I'll probably buy the same model).
REI Quarterdome UL
3. Sleeping Pad - Gone are the days of the earth pad--the ubiquitous rectangular rubber mat, usually black and cut from the same material used to line the floor of owner-type jeeps or made into outer soles of sandals. When Therm-a-rest and similar self-inflating pads slowly crept in the local market, a lot of people started buying, and swore that this made the biggest difference in their climbing trips. And I agree 100%. Being able to sleep soundly even on a wet night at a rocky campsite is something that would spell the difference in deciding whether to push on or abort a trip. Cece recently gifted me with a Therm-a-Rest Pro Lite to replace my old and busted sleeping pad. With its lighter weight and more compact profile, this new pad will fill up less space in my pack.
4. Stove and Cook Set - Unless you plan to eat bread and canned goods in your camping trip, you better bring these handy items. A tiring day should be rewarded with a hot meal. 

Stoves come in many forms and sizes, and fuel types. My stove of choice since 2001 was the Peak 1/Feather 400 of Coleman, since it's pretty compact and the simmering feature is perfect for cooking rice. The problem with this stove is it's a bit high-maintenance; and you should learn how to field-repair it in case anything happens to it. The replacement rubber for the pump is also getting harder to come by. So I bought an MSR Simmerlite a couple of years ago. It's more compact and relatively more stable (lower center of gravity). Normally simmer is not a reliable function in MSR stoves, despite the name of this model. But once you learn the trick in putting the right air pressure in the fuel tank, it is possible for you to cook rice without burning the bottom part. 
cooking pasta on an MSR stove
Cook sets also come in many shapes and sizes. Ideally, a group needs to bring only one big-enough set that cook the food you need in one go. Compared to bringing two smaller-sized sets, this option would save up on space and weight. I still have my old Camp Art 4-person cookset which I bring for smaller groups, and my "newer" Kovea 5-6 person cookset, which I use more often now. One drawback when owning/bringing this group gear is if you'll be the one to clean it up after, especially somebody fried tocino or anything that leaves a crust that's tough to remove. The trick here is to make your group mates agree that whoever cooked should also be the one to clean (or probably divide the chores evenly. As long as you go home with a clean cook set).

4. Clothes - This is often the most over-packed item inside your backpack. It's easier to put in too much clothing into your stash than having the discipline to meticulously choose the items you bring so you don't need to bring as much. One tip I learned was to count the number of days of your trip and subtract 1; and that is how many sets of clothing you need to bring. This only applies for short trips. For expeditions, the fewer items you have, the better. In the last extreme case I had, in Guiting-Guiting, I only brought the clothes I was wearing, and another set of clothes, which I would be using for the traverse. That's two sets of clothes for 8 days! Good thing there were times the sun came out; otherwise I would've been shivering in wet clothes all week.
While waiting for my clothes to dry, I'm reduced to wearing my malong
The key to packing fewer clothes are: layering, multi-purposing, and choosing clothes with the right material.

5. Lighting - An essential part of your gear list, the personal lighting system must be able to take on whatever conditions you'll encounter on the mountains and below. Compared to 10 years ago, headlamps today are very light and bright; and there are tons to choose from. My first headlamp was a Petzl Zoom Sora which sucked up battery like crazy. I then shifted to Black Diamond Gemini (with LED and xenon bulbs). I now use a Black Diamond Icon, with a claimed 200-lumen output. Kind of heavy compared to the others in the market; but you can't beat that type of power.
Black Diamond Icon
6. Rain Jacket - I distinguish between clothing and the rain jacket because buying the latter requires more thought, and money. A rain shell is your primary protection against the cold and rain. It should be waterproof, yet breathable, so perspiration won't accumulate inside. Gore-tex was the long-standing waterproof membrane of choice, until almost each manufacturer came out with their own technology. Nowadays, the "soft shell" is getting all the hype as a more versatile option. As I said, jackets are very expensive, and some cost even more than a typical 2-person tent. Therefore, careful evaluation of the pros and cons of each tent, would save you money in the long run. Also, take note that most reviews are from North America, whose conditions differ from our tropical land. So take things like breath-ability with a grain of salt. And make sure to regularly wear and clean your jacket to keep the waterproofing intact.

Earlier in my climbing "career", I was content to get my jackets from the local ukay-ukay. Richard, my ukay guru, would tell where to find reasonably-priced branded jackets in good condition. I've also bought a couple of un-branded Gore-tex jackets that lasted a few years. Since then, I've gone through three more jackets (one I got as a prize in a TNF adventure race, and the other, from a sale in ROX), including my present one, a TNF in loud green. I find the jacket with a lining better and more durable than the single-wall shell.
TNF in Kinabalu
7. Malong - The ultra-versatile sleeping liner we adopted from our Muslim brethren in the south is another must-bring! From the bus ride up to the summit, you'll definitely find ways to use this two-yards of intricately-patterned cloth: a blanket, sleeping liner, scarf, emergency towel, last piece of clothing, a changing room, shade from the sun, dust protection, sleeping implement; the list is endless! 
malong as a blanket
I  got my first malong as a gift in 1996 or 1997. It's been 17 years, and I'm still using it. Years of washing and wearing have made it so soft, that it's become hard to replace, even if I'm bothered by the frays on its edges. Plus, I love the fact that it's different from most malongs I see in the mountains, as it is monochromatic and the patterns are geometric rather than floral. 
malong as a scarf
8. Water Containers - Where you put your precious water has also evolved over the years. In the 80's, mountaineers were using empty containers of Mr. Juicy because its fairly leak-proof and light. In the 90's and way into the new millenium, Nalgene became the popular choice; offering leak-proof and an "unbreakable" body that comes in various colors. Then came the Camelbak, Platypus and MSR bladders that were light, and can be collapsed once empty. 
Camelbak bladder, Nalgene, and MSR Drommedary
A reasonable alternative is to use PET bottles from soft drinks. They don't cost anything, leak proof, light, and collapsible. It's also a good way to re-purpose what would have become trash; therefore, also a green alternative. 

9. Water-proof Bags - The "D" in the ABCs of packing is "double water-proofing" (a stretch, I know). In our tropical climate, it's not unusual for us to be drenched by rain while climbing. Often we also need to cross rivers with our packs. Without these liners, all our gear will be soaked and inoperable. 

I use "dry bags" for my clothes, sleeping bags, and other essentials that need to stay dry. On top of that, I usually use a big and thick plastic bag (typically found in large wet markets used to package wholesale vegetables) inside my pack before putting all my stuff in. While most packs boast of improved water-proofing, prolonged rains would soak even the best of them. Lining your pack with an impermeable plastic makes doubly-sure your thinks will be dry. 

10. Tarps and Ground Sheet - These thin water-resistant sheets help keep you dry above and below. Tents nowadays already have "footprints", which is placed below the tent for added protection. But not all tents have these, so you have to make your own. Check out most hardware stores and/or large wet markets, and you'll find these sheets (made of woven plastic material, not unlike those used in rice sacks) in blue-orange or blue-silver color combos. 
a minimalist set-up using a groundsheet as shelter
A few years back, I saw some plastic construction sheets lying around our office. It looked like an ideal ground sheet because it is less permeable than the standard ones we've been using. So I asked the crew if I could have it. I cut a section into the dimension of my tent, and I've been using this ever since. 

Local tent manufacturers have come out with tarps that offer good coverage and water protection, if pitched properly. Once you buy your own tarp, try and master the most bomb-proof setup, and don't forget to bring guy lines.

11. The Emergency Essentials - This is self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway. Venturing outdoors puts tons of uncertainties along your way. You have to be properly equipped to ensure survival. To survive, you need to secure, food, shelter, clothing, water, fire, and means to call for help. If the 10 items above are somehow lost, make sure you have the following with you:
  • Knife - must be sharp. A multi-tool or Swiss Army knife is ideal
  • Fire starter - anything from matches to high-tech torches. A flint-magnesium starter kit would be the most basic, but requires some practice.
  • Whistle - To call for help and to signal trail movement.
  • Repair Kit - Consisting of yards of tying strings, duct tape, a needle and thread.
  • Emergency Blanket - Could also work as a shelter, if worse comes to worst.
  • Toilet Paper - as long as you keep it dry, you'll find numerous applications other than wiping your butt with it.
12. First Aid Kit - Most teams have this as a group equipment. Ideally, everyone should have at least the basic kit with them, containing medicines for the standard ailments, bandages, wound treatment. Bringing personal medication, such as for asthma, allergies, and hypertension, is a personal responsibility, as these items have specific applications catering to your own needs. 
Mini first aid kit
13. Sandals or Flip-flops - There's a good chance that your shoe will get wet. You wouldn't want to be wearing a wet pair of shoes in camp and all the way home. Sandals/flip-flops are the best campsite footwear. In case your shoes break, you have a spare to carry you down the trail. Just make sure they're in good condition.

Other Items

I would bring the following items with me depending on the conditions expected in the trip. 

14. Sleeping Bag - There are a few mountains here where a sleeping bag is a must, especially if you already have a malong and a sleeping pad. When I climb up mountains whose climate features a temperature drop to 10-degrees and below, I bring my sleeping bag.

15. Trekking Poles - There is a love-hate relationship existing between me and this gear. A sensible person would be eager to use this, as it enhances stability and distributes the weight better. On the other hand, by using this, you somehow admit that your legs aren't up to the task of lugging heavy packs while moving competently on the trail. As a compromise, I decided to bring these sticks when I'm guiding and/or carrying heavy gear, and leave it at home if I'm fairly light and can move independently. 

16. Luxury Items - I consider these luxuries as they don't have any real necessary purpose in the mountains, but it adds a touch of home to the experience. If I can afford to bring extra gear, then these items will be inside my pack:
  • MP3 player and mini-speaker - better than carrying a guitar.
  • Toiletry kit - You can't wash your face with soap in the mountain, anyway. Leave it at the jump-off.
  • Camp lamp - Having a well-lit campsite will do wonders during night-time socials. But if i comes to choosing this or the need for extra food, pick the latter.
  • Wine - Another fine tool for socializing. Good thing Platypus came out with a collapsible container that can keep the wine quality intact, so you don't need to carry the bottle up the mountain.
Including food and water, all these gear wouldn't probably fit in my 60-liter pack. I haven't even included the usual mountaineering equipment here! But if you do it properly and smartly, there is a way to maximize the use of space. That's for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment