Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dreaming of AD

Quickie entry

I've been been obsessing lately about Ama Dablam since the subject was raised two weeks ago. It's such a beautiful mountain and a the view from the campsites (especially Camp 2) are really hair-raising.

There are basically two ways of climbing the mountain: DIY (do-it-yourself) or supported. I found two videos on Youtube illustrating the difference. 

supported climb

DIY (and solo)

DIY-ing it requires full commitment. You have to know your shit, because chances of getting rescued if you make a mistake is very difficult.

Reading and watching about other people's expeditions give you valuable knowledge on what to prepare. My experience in Island Peak--especially the chest pains I had for weeks after returning home--has taught me the need to be in better physical form before heading back out there.

Six months to go....



No comments:

Post a Comment