Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Plan B

Last Friday at the get-together in BGC, Romi put the final nail in the coffin of the planned expedition this October to Mt. Himlung (7126m) in the Annapurna Region, Nepal. The number of people initially keen on going slowly trickled down because of various (and generally valid) reasons.
Himlung Himal a no-go (photo from the Internet)
To be perfectly honest, my chances of joining the trip was 80% at best. I've already said in a previous post, a mountain expedition is an expensive venture, and I'm not exactly rolling in money. There are other commitments that need attending. On the other hand, I was willing to shift things around just so I can join the trip.

But now that it's off, I'm somewhat relieved, because now I could plan for things I was shelving in favor of the expedition. Cheaper, yet rewarding trips or activities. I might even squeeze in training to join at least one triathlon event this year.

Not all is lost, however. A window opened when this proverbial door closed. Romi proposed an expedition to Ama Dablam (6,856m) next year. This got me excited because a) that mountain is on another level: the most technical climb I could probably do in my lifetime (which would be the closest I'd be to the snooty definition of what mountaineering is); and b) it gives me more time to save up and sort my finances. I was my first choice, actually. After coming back from our trip in 2012, it was the mountain I asked Dawa about. 
22 months ago: Libre lang mangarap....
Only time will tell if this Plan B will become a reality. But unlike the cancelled Himlung trip, I have a greater desire for this to come true. Even now I'm already thinking what kind of training I should do to get my upper body where it needs to be, and more importantly, where to find the money. But man, what an adventure that would be!


No comments:

Post a Comment