Monday, August 25, 2014

[New Book Find] The Hard Way, by Mark Jenkins

I passed by the used bookstore in Galleria after an errand, and surprise, surprise!

Mark Jenkins is one of my favorite adventure writers, and his column in Outside Magazine, The Hard Way, is usually the first thing I read.

From his writings, you'd surmise that he's one of those hard men, who eschew modern technology in favor of pure physical determination and smarts--tempered by season after season of outdoor experience--to reach the top of mountains. His essay "Elements of Style" outlined this point-of-view quite clearly: (to paraphrase) If you can't reach a mountain through your own hard work, then you're not ready for that mountain. Unlike some writers, you'd believe it when he says these things because he's out there, living out the adventures in the style that he preaches. 

This book is a collection of his essays from various publications, mostly from Outside Magazine. While I'm sure it would take me months to finish this book, I can't wait to get into it when I get home; at least one story.


No comments:

Post a Comment