Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Inside the Cobra Ironman 70.3

Last Thursday we flew off to Cebu for the 6th Cobra Ironman 70.3; after almost missing our flight, which got re-scheduled without our knowledge. This was my 4th time to volunteer in this huge triathlon event. Since I've been away from the sport for almost a year now, this would be the closest I'd get to experiencing the excitement of the race.
Treating ourselves to Cebu's warm welcome at the airport



Friday was spent setting up the course. I was assigned partly at the transition area, but mostly at the finish line. Unlike last year, the weather now was verging into volcanic levels. If not for the slight breeze, setting up the transition would be so unbearable. The racers have their work cut out for them at the transition, as this year's area is situated in an undeveloped parcel of land owned by Megaworld. To make the area usable, they graded it with crushed limestone, which gets mighty sticky when wet. In my mind, I thought, the athletes better pray it doesn't rain the day before the race.

it did rain, briefly
The race expo was teeming with tri gear. You can re-equip yourself here, provided you have a huge bank account. I didn't bother looking at the bikes; the price tags would just crush my spirit. I contented myself in buying a new pair of goggles, which Bing of AQATX kindly sold at a discount. I'm hoping this would be the spark I need to re-ignite my training engine.
A brief distraction from the day's work. Watching Lapu Lapu city's pride.
Saturday was for the kids. Iron Kids, that is. A special side event of the weekend was a race for kids into triathlon, ages 6 to 14, split into various age categories. Watching these kids with their game faces really inspired me. I'm glad I didn't see what the others were telling me about: moms and dads, and coaches, aggressively shouting at these tiny athletes, sometimes egging them to push beyond their limits, taking away the fun off the sport. Fortunately, the atmosphere was relaxed, and everyone had fun watching the kids make their way to the finish line, especially the five tiniest athletes in their bikes with trainer wheels.
(you'll catch a brief glimpse of me near the end)

We shifted our energies to the transition area, as the bike check-in started mid-morning. It was a hot sunny day, which would prove disastrous to some racers whose tires burst because of the added pressure (which nerds would attribute to Charle's Law of Thermodynamics). It was a long day, made even more difficult by racers who came in late, most of whom had very lame excuses. Transition supposedly closed at 4pm, but people were still coming in up until 6 in the evening. A very prominent team with a very experience coach came 45 minutes late. Michell made sure they got an earful before being let in. 
Which brings me to my short public service announcement, No. 1: racers, please make sure you read all the rules, come in on time, and spare the marshals from working past their assigned work hours. I'm saying this on behalf of the volunteer marshals who report early in the morning, stand most of the time under the heat of the sun. They don't need your excuses; just follow the timetable. If you can swim, bike and run a total of 70.3 miles, you can be on time.
After a brief shut-eye, we headed back to the transition early morning of Sunday, race day. You can feel the nervous energy from all the participants waiting to be let in to the transition area for their final preparations. I headed out with my team to the finish compound to secure the area and wait for all these competitors to cross the line that would make them Ironmen and women. 

what every racer would be dying to see
I caught a glimpse of the swim start. I can't quite see the sandy beach anymore, as the anxious triathletes await their gun start. I can only imagine what they were feeling at that moment. I've been in that situation a few times before, but not at that scale, that many people in one race. I wished them good luck and started on our vigil for the first finisher. 
a swarm of newbies and old dogs. good luck to all of you!
I less than 4 hours the first placer crosses the finish line. Canadian Brent McMahon clinches the overall win with the time of 3 hours and 59 minutes. A solid finish time. The rest of the pros came in one after the other, and the finish line are became alive with activity. From that point until past 3 in the afternoon, I would have been on my toes trying to maintain order. The good thing with my not being in touch with the local showbiz scene is it was easier to shoo celebrities away where they're not supposed to be (in a polite way, of course).
unique Kenneth Cobonpue-designed "medals"
Human nature can really be frustrating, especially if you let it get to you. People racing with their friends tend to wait for each other at the finish line; making our job of keeping the lanes clear for other finishers and racers needing medical attention. Some people might listen, others would even have the audacity (too strong a term?) to be angry for being told to leave. Which brings me to the second public service announcement:
All you triathletes. If you think you had a tough time racing for 4 to 8 hours, try standing in place from 6am, til every single racer gets to the finish line. Add to that, having to deal with stubborn spectators, pseudo-VIPs, irate triathletes and relatives, all while being baked under the scorching sun. Marshals, in general, are not paid nearly enough to bear and grin at every unnecessary crap from all these people. They have a job to do; they have strict instructions. If you can't follow them, it's not their fault if you have to be stopped. Marshals are there to help you racers, therefore, there should be mutual respect, so everyone would have a great race day.
I do understand the pressure of the moment: pushing yourself beyond your limits, so you can cross the line. If at anytime during the race you get frustrated and shout at a marshal (intentionally or incidentally), there's some leeway that could excuse your actions. But, if you act annoyingly once you finish the race, then all bets are off. Joining a race doesn't give you a free pass to do whatever you'd like during the event. Your race bib/number just means you are privileged to test yourself in the race course, and most of the time, enjoy the other perks like free food and services. Anyway, I've said too much already.

At last the cut-off time arrived, and I was given leave to head back to the room to wash up, pack and head for home. I would definitely miss our room. This is one of the few perks we had for the long work hours and exposure to the elements.
I'll miss you, Shangri-la!
Unlike last year, I came and left Cebu without crossing to the mainland. It was all work this year. Maybe the next time, I'll be able to shop and roam around the city a bit before going home.

Cobra Energy Drink Ironman 70.3 Philippines 2014 from AeroEye Asia on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment