Saturday, August 23, 2014

DOMS

As I regressed from my regular (almost daily) training last year, while trying to at least climb once a month, usually with a heavy pack, I've started to suffer more frequently from DOMS.

I'm talking about Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, and not Dirty Old Man Syndrome (though some would contend that I am also afflicted with this). As the name implies, DOMS is a delayed reaction of the muscle tissues from a strenuous workout, usually appearing after 6 to 8 hourse, peaking around 24 to 48 hours. I initially thought that lactic acid build-up was related to DOMS, but upon further reading, scientific findings have rejected this correlation. Sources say that DOMS comes from muscle inflammation caused by micro-tears in the muscle after eccentric (i.e. lengthening) exercises. I don't have the complete grasp yet of the science behind this condition; all I know is that after every extended climb up mountains, I get this, forcing me to do the "penguin walk". 

The worst episode in recent months was after getting down Mt. Kinabalu last May. Though most of us had it, I felt that I had it worse. The others were feeling better after two days. I was still walking funny two days after we got back to Manila. Probably because of poor recovery decisions on my part, like shaking it off by trying to walk as normal as possible, or flutter-kicking vigorously, when in fact my legs were really hurting. I should have known better to listen to my body.

Our climb up Mt. Arayat was hard for me because a) I wasn't physically prepared (aside from bike commuting, I didn't have any other exercise), and b) I was carrying a 20kg pack, which could have been lighter, but I was in "training" mode. Tuesday after the climb, I was really feeling the fruit of my error. My calves were rock-hard (not in a good way), and climbing up stairs became a terrible chore. 

Moving forward, the logical conclusion is I should avoid getting myself in this situation again. In my search for possible solutions, I came across these practical remedies to help prevent, or alleviate the symptoms:
  1. Condition your body by gradually increasing workout intensity, rather than going 100% on the get-go. For example, you can run a few times in the weeks leading to a major climb. This way you allow your muscles to recover and build, making them more prepared for the trail onslaught.
  2. Warm up. Start slow. Maintain a pace not meant to kill you. If you are lacking in preparation, then perhaps it's apt that you swallow your pride and climb at the level your body is comfortable with. 
  3. Use trekking poles. Having four legs carrying the weight is better than just two. Trekking poles help to distribute some load to your upper body and down to the ground, and increase stability while walking up or down the trail.
  4. Nutrition could play a part in minimizing the level of soreness. Make sure to hydrate and eat properly.
  5. Compression materials around your legs can help decrease the stress to your muscles during training or a climb. This is probably why you see more and more runners/triathletes sporting calf sleeves or compression tights during a race. Wearing compression sleeves or tights post-activity may also help speed up recovery.
  6. Massaging the affected area would increase blood-flow and speed up recovery. But it would definitely be painful! Foam rollers are useful tools if you don't have anybody to massage you.
A DISCLAIMER. I am far from being an expert on the subject. I am just like any other person searching for solutions. So take note if the above helps you in any way, then good for you; but nothing is assured. Expert advice lay elsewhere. Also, it's quite easy to dismiss aches and pains as DOMS when it could probably a more serious condition. An article in CNN says that persistent soreness lasting beyond 72 to 96 hours could be a sign of other things, and you should probably consult your doctor. 

Next time I will explore the alternative condition somebody offered to explain what I was having, and which I am whole-heartedly rejecting, known as Exhaustion Due to Age Denial, or EDAD.


No comments:

Post a Comment