Sunday, August 24, 2014

Single Track Riding in UP

A spark of inspiration got me off my bed and on my bike on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Weekend plans were scrapped (including two rock climbing trips and the alternative long bike ride), and except for that brief venture out to SURP, I was slowly decomposing in bed in front of my laptop.

I was supposed to meet Cece in about an hour so I knew this would be a short ride. I pedaled out to UP CHK to check out the bike trails the built around the idle lands there.

The trails were developed by the UP College of Human Kinetics, with the help of the UP Outdoor Recreation Group. I've known about this trail for many months now; they even held two cross country competitions there this year. 

There are two separate circuits making up the course. The shorter one is on the eastern side of the gym, in front of the Vanguard building. The longer, more technical one is on the western side, where the archery fields are. Since the trails are single track, bikers are asked to ride counter-clockwise (entry and exit signs are visibly marked).

I took the short course first, and immediately got lost when the trail vanished when the grass was mowed recently. I veered to the left into some muddy plots, unable to see the very visible track to my right. I corrected my course and finished the section huffing and puffing. 

Then I checked the longer course. Since I didn't know where it starts, I rode on the covered walkway out to Commonwealth Avenue until I saw the trail to my left. The perimeter fence of UP is on the right of the track, and on the left is a steep drop, which gives you little room for mistakes. The ride was dynamic enough, but seeming to lack in "flow" (wow! what do I know about those things!?). Unfortunately, recent rains have soaked the lower half of the trail, making it to a very soft muddy mush I dared not to get in. The course is further cut by a new land development planned in the area. I hope they find a way to reconnect the course after.

I made a few more passes in the short course, easily overtaken by the riders behind me. My handling skills seemed rusty beyond retrieval. I was sweating like it was my first time to ride off-road. I headed back home flushed; the cold shower did little to stop the sweating. That was an intense 30-minute ride! LOL!

This is a training ground so close to home that I can't believe I've never done until today. Like I said, it is short. But the length allows you to focus on specific movements often not present in long courses. It's an excellent place to do intros to mountain biking, without the need to go out of town. I'm looking forward to the next ride, and to the rebuilding of the archery trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment