Sunday, June 8, 2014

Comeback bike ride

Finally, my road bike has seen the light of day in after so many months!



LA invited me and a few others to join him in a morning ride up to Antipolo and beyond, if everybody's up to going further. He's been training for a big triathlon even at the en of June. Something I was doing not a year ago, but have since dropped, in favor of climbing and goofing off.

I almost didn't join at the last minute. I wasn't feeling so good when I woke up (I haven't been sleeping well for days). Only when LA and Princess said that we'll just ride only within our comfort level that I suited up.

It was January 5 when my bike had its last long ride (above 40km). In those 6 months, I've lost all the training I accumulated last year. I was already winded at the short "climb" along CP Garcia.

The sun was glaring by the time we got to Marcos Highway, but the weather was not yet too hot. As expected, the road was littered with bikers of all ages and types (roadies, mountain bikers, etc). A few strong bikers passed me as I mashed along the two climb sections up to Padi's Point, but most that I met along the road were at the same pace as I or a little bit slower (or just conservative).

When we got to Antipolo and finished our breakfast (chicken mami), LA asked us if we wanted to go down to Teresa (another 20km). I had to swallow my pride and said that this was the farthest I can go. So we headed back and we were home by 10.

I've fallen a long way from my former fitness level. For the first time in a long time, I had to stop after the first climb.

But I need to get back to this cycling business; not to regain past glory, but for health. At last, I recognize that my body is not invincible anymore, and that extra effort is needed to prevent all the fat I've been eating from sticking around my bloodstream.

Bike, hike, climb, swim, run, or whatever. Make your weekend count!


No comments:

Post a Comment