Friday, June 6, 2014

Heard on Thursday

"Found myself in unfamiliar territory." That was my caption for this Instagram post (see photo), taken at the RX 93.1 studios. This was the first time I've been inside a radio recording booth.

(Photo courtesy of Rafael Reyes and Ina Ocampo)

Princess got the UPM a "guesting" in Rafael Reyes's weekly program, Heard on Thursdays. Since she couldn't make it, she asked her fellow officers (ie. us) to fill in for her. A mix of curiosity and not wanting to waste the chance to promote the org led me to say yes. So Patty, King, and I went to Ortigas and up to the 17th floor of Strata 2000.

While this wasn't the first time I've been interviewed in mainstream media, I still couldn't help but feel the standard jitters of "live performance". Add to that the fact that I hate hearing my voice amplified. But Raffy made sure to put us at ease before the program started.

We talked mostly about mountaineering during the hour-long program. Once in a while the discussion veered into UPM's upcoming annivesary activities. The exchanges were genrally fluid and lively; helped immensely by Patty being a natural behind the mic (twang and all). I think we got the message of climbing safely amd responsibly across. I'm just not sure how I sounded on air. Not wearing the headphones helped ease my nerves and saved me the agony of listening to myself.

Though the interview was far less scary than I imagined, I don't think I've overcome stage-fright just yet. And you definitely won't see me as the next host of Born to be Wild (is that still on air even?).


No comments:

Post a Comment