Tuesday, June 30, 2015

38th UP Mountaineers Anniversary

There was a whole lot of running last weekend, as we celebrated the 38th year since the UP Mountaineers was founded. Six individuals got together during the summer of 1977 and decided to start an outdoor organization based in the UP Diliman campus. Despite being at the height of Martial Law--where going up the mountains mean something else--their application for university recognition was approved, much to their surprise. The rest is mountaineering history.

The tradition of running 1 hour around the Academic Oval for every year of UPM's existence started in 1989. UPM was only 12 years old then. As the years pass, the challenge becomes greater. This year, we had to "run the flag" for 38 straight hours. That's longer than any ultramarathon event in the country. 

I did my measly share (5 laps) on Friday night. It was the longest I've ran since March (no long runs after feeling so strong during the application period, something went wrong in one of the training runs; and then the sprain episode in Mt. Amuyao). I can still feel some aches in my right ankle. I was happy just to keep up pace with the rest of the pack. 
Still smiling after my third or fourth round (photo: Jujoe Manlapaz)
Done with my quota, the rest of the night was spent mingling with fellow members, eating, drinking, and trying to keep each other awake. By the time Celine and I left around 1am, there's still 17 hours left on the run!

We got back the following day just in time for the last round. The group was now in full force, occupying half of the oval, chanting loudly, (slightly) harassing passers-by (in jest, of course). The setting sun gave the perfect lighting to cap off an epic event.
A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on

We ran-walked the remainder of the way from Oblation to the AS parking. Everyone was relieved to finish the run. Some of the new members are in serious need of sleep. 
Oble and the UP Mountaineers
By the final reckoning, 164 registered runners ran a total of one thousand, one hundred and five rounds, or the equivalent of 2,431 kilometers, or running the entire length and a third of the Philippines from end to end (1,850 km). Taddy Llaneta (fresh from his TNF100 finish) ran the most laps at 50, while Twylah had the most laps for the women, at 32.
Anniversary run infographic (by Jujoe Manlapaz)
* * *
But the day wasn't over yet. The party was just about to start. It's time to get rowdy again.
(photo: Jujoe Manlapaz)
Manny's Grill was packed. The band was loud. Beer and shots changing hands left and right.
(photo: Jujoe Manlapaz)

Everyone was having a great time. Romeo Lee even performed his classics. It looks like no one has gotten tired of Wild Thing and Mustang Sally.
As for me, I couldn't resist the lure of the mic in front of me. And with all the off-key loudness I could muster, I channeled my inner rockstar to the tune of Deep Purple's Highway Star.
"Alright, hold tight. I'm a highway staaaaaar!!!!" (photo: Jujoe Manlapaz)
Happy anniversary, U.P. Mountaineers! In the immortal words of our founders, "hege lang ng hege!"


No comments:

Post a Comment