Monday, June 1, 2015

Mercury in Retrograde

Last week was particularly "un-awesome" for me. Stock market is down. Pickup nearly stalled in a busy intersection because it ran out of fuel. Later on I found someone keyed my car door, leaving very nasty scratches. To top it off, I crashed my bike to a pickup truck on my way to work. I was too battered I had to cancel our Atimonan rock trip last Saturday. While Mercury's retrograde is said to affect electronics and big decisions, I think it had some influence on my week.

A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on

I can still remember after I avoided a cutting taxi cab, I saw the stationary pickup truck in front of me and hit my brakes. My bike flipped forward when the front brake fully engaged, and how I thought "oh, shit! this will hurt!" I flew off over the handles right into the bed door of the pickup truck in front of me. For a moment I was hanging by my midsection; felt like I was punched by two MMA fighters at the same time. I dropped to the ground, curled up because I couldn't breathe. People started to crowd in. The driver was really concerned of my condition (thanking him for not making a big deal about any damage I might have left in his vehicle). All I could do to the erring taxi driver is leave some nasty looks.


Up until now I'm still feeling aches all over. It still hurts to cough or stretch (bruise in the abdomen). I haven't looked at my bike yet, but it appears in running condition. I'm determined to ride again soon to shake off any trauma. The last thing I want is developing a fear of bike commuting.
What appears to be the only damage to my bike
So my week had an adventure that wasn't what I actually wanted. It's one of those life lessons that comes when the world thinks I am being too complacent again. That split second event would have been avoided if I didn't play into the distraction of giving the taxi driver a piece of my mind after he cut me off. I should've moved on after something bad like that happened, and not let it fester in my mind.

So that's what I plan to do now. Move on. Do what I can while still not 100%, until I'm back to regular programming. But definitely, I will still bike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment