Tuesday, June 2, 2015

[New Gear] New shoes, enough motivation?

Last weekend, while nursing my bruises, I got a package which I hope would rekindle my training fire. Inside were a new pair of Five-Ten MoccAsyms and a set of Omega Pacific quickdraws. The whole weekend I've toyed with these items in every way, most eager to try them out. (Atimonan was waiting for me. That would have been a great first climb for these gear. But life has other plans.)



Buying new shoes seems extravagant. More so after my post about avoiding buying more stuff than you need. In my defense, I DO need these! My old Five-Ten are slowly killing my toes. They're just too small. For the past three years, I survived in this pair just because I haven't been climbing regularly. And each time I put them on, my toes start screaming by the time I start with my third pitch. And so I have a plausible justification in buying these shoes.

The quickdraws purchase was a no-brainer. The ones we've been using are really old and are ripe for failure. This set is way above my climbing budget, but better safe than sorry.

* * *
So first thing this week, I went to Power Up Tandang Sora. The gym was packed with climbing legends and rock jocks. Kind of intimidating.
TS peeps. hardcore climbers.
Tasha was my climbing partner for the night. Great, because no one else from the list of invitees showed up. We went on our warm-up climbs and slowly worked on our endurance. The MoccAsyms felt tight at first, but after a few climbs, they just felt snug. I've read this slippers tend to stretch. At least my toes were in good shape.
Excellent first try
After a couple of sets in the overhang, I felt my hands were about to give out. That was the end of my session. It was a decent comeback training, but way too short to deliver results. Nevertheless, it was enough to motivate me to set the next session and commit to the next ten. Let's see if that's enough to get me to the level of fitness we need in AD. Can't wait for Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment