Thursday, June 18, 2015

Let's Get Physical

October is fast approaching, and the Dream Climb is 80% sure. Time to panic. 

A lot of things have to happen before October. The biggest one behind money matters and making sure personal matters are in order, is to get fit. I've harbored the illusion that I'm fit enough to catch my dream. But if the past two weeks is any indication, I'm miles away from my required level of fitness.
Amping our core muscles (photo: Cleve Mallari)
I've known for a time that my primary weakness is my upper body. I've spent a lot of effort developing my body for running and hiking while neglecting my torso. Looking back, this was the reason I really didn't get far in rock climbing and I came home from Island Peak suffering from chest pains (from all the jumarring). 
Training means heading out to the gym even when I'm alone. 
This time I'm determined not to experience that again. I've been studying the book I got recently about proper training for climbing. It's very comprehensive and provides excellent insight on how to focus your workout to get the best results. I now have a greater appreciation of the work required from climbers, and I'm hoping my bi-weekly sessions in Power Up would in turn be more productive. 
A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on

Aside from the climbing sessions, I started attending the Mountain Rockstar Training of UPM, headed by ace adventure racer and trail runner Thumbie. The circuit-type workout program is designed to increase strength and balance, which helps when you are out and scrambling up the mountains, lugging your heavy-ass backpacks.

After the first time I joined the group last week, I felt I was slowly dying as we went on with the workouts. I started with a 25-pound kettle bell in the first set of exercises, and by the last set, I was having trouble raising my arms even without any weights.
all smiles after my first pain session (photo: Thumbie Remigio)
Last night was not as heavy, but way more intense. We did 4 sets of run + workouts. By the time I was done, I hated the word "burpees" with all my heart. I overslept by two and a half hours this morning and got to work very late.

I have a long way to go. These things don't happen overnight. But I know I'm getting there. I feel that there is enough commitment in my head to make this happen and for me to stick with it. I just need to be smart and avoid training to the brink of injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment