Monday, June 8, 2015

[Plan C] Saturday Climb in Atimonan

It was a warm, mostly sunny day at the walls of Tinandog in Atimonan. The first chance I got, I took off my clean shirt and changed to my climbing singlet. I wouldn't want to get my only shirt soaking in sweat on the bus ride home.

Cece and I weren't supposed to be there that weekend, but the universe has other plans for us. Out plans got cancelled. But I don't regret it. I've been longing to go back here since last year. As always, Pastor Noel is there to welcome us warmly to his playground.
Cece at Yema

We convinced Dip and Munch to tag along for the day (which made our commute from Lucena to Atimonan much easier). Both were excited to try rock climbing for the first time. Jojo and Ging were already there, making this trip a virtual couples' retreat with a pastor. The topic of marriage was brought up in no time. Even our other companions--auditors on assignment in Lucena, looking for things to do on the weekend--got into the discussion.

At the North Wall (photo: Noel Suministrado)
On with the climb. We started with the usual routes, Yema and Take, Take Home, with me leading Yema to set up the top rope. The two sessions in TS helped in shaking off my rusty appendages. The route was sent without any major hitch. I was delighted to use my new quickdaws.

I then belayed Jojo as he led Take, Take Me Home, and then the rest took turns with the two routes. 
Jojo leading Take, Take Me Home (photo: Noel Suministrado)
Dip relaxing at the Grotto
(Ma'am) Ging's turn (photo: Jojo Gutierrez)

It was close to noon, and the sun was becoming unbearable. Before we headed out to the hut for lunch, I tried "Laidback" (the route on the immediate right of Yema). It seemed much harder than it was last year. My left foot kept on slipping as I tried to hold the layback position. Not sure whether it's because of my new rock shoes, or the wall was covered in powder. Almost immediately after, I re-set the toprope up Yema, so Cece can try it.
A photo posted by Dennis Lopez (@dencius) on


Cece, who has not climbed since she was last there in 2011, powered her way though the routes, with poise to boot, all thanks to her Barre3 regimen. She, Munch, and Ging did better than the two other boys in the group, who appeared to be intimidated by the limestone wall. (A few practice climbs in Power UP and I'm sure they will be raring to go back and finish those problems).


Munch celebrating after topping out (photo: Noel Suministrado)
After lunch, we transferred to the Windy Wall to cap off our day with two routes, "Acidic" and "Sidesteps". These routes are deceiving. They give the appearance of easiness because of what seems to be giant hand and foot holds. But When you are already tied in and climbing, these holds become razor sharp and inaccessible. Besides, these are more vertical in profile than the North Wall. 
Acidic route
I set up the top-rope up Acidic using the traditional ("trad") method of protection (there are no bolts to clip into, so we rely on slings). Pastor, Jojo, Cece and the boys had a go next. Then I went up again to transfer the anchor to Sidesteps. A complicated move consisting of climbing Acidic; then traversing to the anchor of Sidesteps to clip in my line; then traversing back to Acidic to remove the anchors above; and finally, down-climbing to align myself to the anchor of Sidesteps. At one point, my run-out was about at least ten feet diagonally, which means if I fall, I will pendulum across the wall, possibly hitting all the sharp holds that comes my way. But there's no place for irrational fear when leading, so I have to focus in not falling.
Cece topping out Acidic
Pastor Noel, effortless in Sidesteps (photo: Ging Gutierrez)

My "reward" for the day's work was to attempt Sidesteps sport route (but top-roped) that stymied me more than three years ago. I thought I was still sufficiently strong, and I was able to at least visualize my holds prior to climbing. But it's a different story when you're already there. Just above the third bolt, I seem to have lost my way; and while searching in vain for the right holds, my strength gave out. I tried again, but the result was the same.

As sort if  consolation, I tried the Sidesteps direct. I only managed half the route before my arms quit on me. It's a sign my day has ended.

Failed attempt at Sidesteps (photo: Ging Gutierrez)

I was sure that my body would be hurting the next day. I'm happy to declare my climb quota was more than filled by the day's end. Six Red Horse Mucho later, we were on the road home, tired, tipsy, and happy.
Happy crew with Pastor Noel (photo: Noel Suministrado)
Some plans don't fan out. When that happens, make sure your Plan B or C has the potential to be more awesome. 

* * *

Our thanks to Pastor Noel, who never seems to get tired of us. For those who want to try the Tinandog Walls, Pastor Noel is the man with the plan. They are currently raising funds to repair the climbers' hut damaged by Typhoon Glenda. The best way you can help is to visit the place and climb. Check out the Facebook Page: Atimonan Rock Climbing, leave a message, so you can set your trip and have a rocking weekend.

Check out ANC's feature on Pastor Noel here

No comments:

Post a Comment